Tips for Staging Your Vacant Home
So you’ve made the move to your new home, but your old home still hasn’t been sold. The good news, you tell yourself, is that buyers will be free to imagine their own style in the now empty rooms.
To some extent, that’s true, but empty spaces can be puzzling, and if dark rooms and clutter are definite turn-offs for most potential buyers, a vacant home waiting to be sold can be as much of a stumbling block to a sale.
Buyers are looking at how long the home has been on the market and speculating why it hasn’t sold.
For one thing, every chip in the woodwork or smudge on the wall stands out like a big, glaring flaw. Sellers must do everything they can to make the home appear clean and fresh.
That means a new coat of interior paint at the least, and replacing any splintered or broken woodwork in windowsills, doorways or elsewhere. New carpeting in a neutral shade, or wood floors that have been cleaned and polished also make rooms look inviting.
Beyond that, there are tips one can borrow from home staging professionals to help potential buyers visualize their families at home in those now-vacant rooms:
- Keep the front and back lawns mowed and watered in season and the walkways free of leaves or snow.
- Squeaky-clean windows and mirrors will enhance the light, bright look of each room, especially when window treatments have been removed.
- Potted silk plants placed strategically throughout the house can add a touch of hominess and help buyers visualize where their furniture will go.
- Make the kitchen smell inviting by keeping a pretty glass bowl of cinnamon potpourri on the counter.
- Create a focal point as well as a touch of elegance in the living or family room. Place a small, round table and two chairs in one corner. Add a long, colorful tablecloth, an interesting centerpiece and a tea service for two.
- Create a focal point in a corner of the master bedroom or study with a couple of open books resting on a chaise lounge or comfortable chair.
In addition, your agent will be able to provide virtual staging for your listing photos – showing how the rooms would look with furniture.
Michael Kogler, REALTOR
MIKE KOGLER TEAM: #1 Sales Team
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc. | Christies International Real Estate
Delaware Coastal Properties Division
37156 Rehoboth Ave., Ext.
Rehoboth Beach, DE. 19971
Cell: (302) 236-7648
Henlopen Sales & Rentals: www.HenlopenRB.com